Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Editorial: Guardians of The Galaxy And It's Beautiful Connection To Autism

Massive Spoilers For Guardians of The Galaxy follow.

The photo above was posted on James Gunns Facebook on Friday, and man did it make my entire day. As someone on the Autism spectrum (Aspergers Syndrome to be exact), it just warmed my heart to see someone else on the spectrum finding inspiration in one of the many delightful characters from Guardians of The Galaxy. Seeing that movie again yesterday, I was once again amazed at just how all around excellent it is, and honestly found it to be even better than I remembered. As the crowd departed the auditorium after that delightful post-credits scene, I had a big grin on my face from the entire film, as well as realizing that two of the Guardians are perfect cinematic representations of people on the Autism spectrum.
A quick Google search on Autism spectrum reveals that it's primarily described as "...a complex disorders of brain development...", which is putting it lightly. Taking it just from my experience living with Aspergers for 18 years, it's a blessing and a curse. It allows me to be socially awkward as I am, renders me unable to immediately understand sarcasm and have trouble comprehending multiple instructions at once. Those kind of symptoms are common in people with Aspergers, enough so that those tendencies get list on the official Wikipedia page for Aspergers Syndrome.

Drax The Destroyer does suffer from these exact symptoms, namely not being able to understand sarcasm and metaphors. We didn't really get a lot of information on Drax prior to the film being released, so these aspects of him were a surprise to me upon seeing the film. When they were revealed, I loved them, especially in how they added personality to the character. And yes, it did cross my mind once or twice in the film that I had had similar problems to the ones he encounters in the film. In fact, when I first saw the movie, in his introduction scene where he fails to understand Peter's gesture indicating slicing ones throat, I too was confused, as the subtle joke had (to quote Drax himself) gone over my head. After a moment, I got it, but it did strengthen the connection I had with the dude.

What I love about the way they utilize aspects of Drax's personality like not understanding sarcasm is that it's not bullying or overly cruel. Contrary to The Big Bang Theory, which also has an main character with symptoms of Aspergers (though Sheldon is far more unlikable than the infinitive more lovable Drax) but uses it mainly for cruel jokes, Guardians uses it as a way to advance the plot in fun ways. Plus, as the picture said, Drax plays a major part in the finale, showing that even people with Aspergers who may be different from others can still make a difference. Plus, who didn't cheer at the line "Nobody talks to my friends like that"?

However, another character in the main Guardians roster also takes a look at Aspergers, albeit a bit of a darker one. Rocket Raccoon is depicted in the film as a loner, whose only companion is Groot, who he occasionally berates. He doesn't help others, only caring about Groot and the money any new bounty he could get. He's a humorous creation, but as the film progresses, more ominous parts of his backstory are hinted at. While in a police line-up, Corpsman Dey (John C. Reily) notes Rocket is the result of illegal scientific experimentation, which is further hinted at during Rockets prison sentence, where some kind of technology is shown the be attached to his back.

But it's after a scuffle with Drax that we get a good look at Rockets inner psyche. Now, as someone with Aspergers, I can tell you that many days it feels like I'm in a cage where I can see the entire world and all that it has to offer. And though I can see it and come close to it, the limitations of Aspergers constrain me from escaping that cage. Rocket certainly has similar feelings if his heartbreaking tirade is anything to go by. He notes of the names he's been called, and how everyone thinks he's just a little monster. "I didn't ask to get made!" he shouts, and right there my heart went out to the guy. Just like Rocket, there are several times in my life where I wonder why I was made like this, with limits on my social skills I can't control and never asked for. Just like Rocket trying to prove himself as more than just a scientific experiment gone haywire, there are many days where I feel like I'll always be engaging in futility trying to prove myself as more than just my Aspergers Syndrome.

However, Rocket soon joins his fellow jackasses in saving the planet Xandar, and manages to become a hero. It's heartwarming, symbolism or not, to see him helping to save lives and caring about others. Just like Rocket and Drax, I also know of the numerous good things that can come from the thing that seperates me from others, in my case, Aspergers Syndrome. I may have unique obstacles to face, but that shouldn't stop me from embracing each and every day as much as I can. After all, Aspergers Syndrome helps me write like I do, its helped introduce me to several of my closest friends and it gives me a new perspective on beautifully-written characters like the ones seen in Guardians of The Galaxy. I love that the screenplay James Gunn and Nicole Perlman have written brings these kind of unique personalities to life and then show them working together in such amazing ways. Just like the younger brother in the picture above, it gives me hope that we can all work together despite the differences that separate us. My Aspergers Syndrome is extremely limited in several regards, but Guardians of The Galaxy is so extraordinary for showing all the good different personality traits, such as Aspergers Syndrome, can accomplish. This sense of unity that pervades the film makes me think it's no accident that one of the films most memorable lines is "We....Are...Groot!"



No comments:

Post a Comment