Tuesday, November 4, 2014

See The Next Stage Of Robotics In Trailer For Chappie

I've always loved robots in entertainment. Jaegars from Pacific Rim, the Mech suits from Avatar, WALL-E from...well, y'know. My fascinating from these guys I think comes from how they seem like the ultimate progression of tools and technologies we have today. Plus, many of them look cool. Those two qualities are in full force in the trailer for Neil Blomkamp's (the director of District 9 and Elysium) next feature, Chappie. Watch the trailer below!

This trailer is actually quite a bit different than what I expected. After the marketing campaign for Elysium focused exclusively on the action (and Matt Damon of course), it looks like this trailer intentionally evokes the more thoughtfulness of District 9. Like that film, this trailer has dashes of action, but it does appear to promote something different. Then again, Elysium did the same thing and wound up having a muddled message in the actual film (though I actually enjoyed Elysium more than the average viewer).

The footage itself in here looks pretty good actually, and I love some of the shots found here (namely the one where it's just Chappies head in the midst of chaotic action). I also love how Hugh Jackman gets to do something he rarely is allowed to do in a film; speak in his natural accent. Oh, and my love for Sharlto Copley (I know, I know, that's against the norm) makes me excited to see what he'll bring to the titular role. Overall, this looks like a neat idea for a movie, and I'm actually kind of excited to see the movie itself when it opens on March 6, 2015,

No comments:

Post a Comment