Monday, December 15, 2014

The Trailer For Terrence Malicks New Movie, Knight Of Cups, Has Christian Bale Doing Things

When I saw Tree Of Life in 2011, it was the first Terrance Malick film I'd ever seen. I had no idea what to expect, except for dinosaurs, I knew dinosaurs were in it. Well, I got the dinos, but nothing much else of substance. The film was ambitious, I'll give it that, and the cinematography was beautiful. But it felt like it was trying too hard to be impactful without doing anything actually impactful. It sort of became blur of visuals after a while.


Malick is back with a new film, long in development called Knight Of Cups. Check out the first trailer for it below.
Damn, what a cast. Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett. Natalie Portman, that's some excellent actors. Nick Offerman, Frieda Pinto and Antonio Banderas also appear to be in the supporting cast, which makes for quite the versatile group of actors. Coming off this trailer though, there's really not much else to talk about the film. It doesn't look bad per se, but to me, it looks like another film more invested in creating powerful visuals than actually saying or doing anything important. To it's credit, visually driven films can be great (Under The Skin is terrific cinema driven by visuals for instance), and some shots in here do indeed look gorgeous, but others, such as stuff at what I assume is a rave, feel like snippets from an SNL parody of Terrance Malick.

Hopefully it can avoid being like The Tree of Life where even the most gorgeous shots lost their power after a while. And hey, if anyone can bring me around to Terrance Malick it's Christian Bale, so we shall see.  I also know a lot of people in the movie community love Malick, so I hope they enjoy this trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment