Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First Trailer For Fantastic Four Reboot Has Finally Arrived!!!


For ages, the new Fantastic Four movie has been surrounded in secrecy, and has drawn the ire of many on the internet not just because of that secrecy, but also because what little information has been released has become quite controversial. The movie has some kind of found-footage approach? Doctor Doom as a blogger? Cast members being urged not to read the comics that inspired the movie? Tons of stuff that's generated discussion, but I've tried to keep myself from passing too much of a judgement until some actual footage dropped.

That footage has arrived today in the form of a teaser trailer, which you can watch below!

My first thought after watching that is...they weren't kidding when they said this would be dark and gritty. This really does look like a very realistic depiction of these heroes, but I'm not sure it's that compelling. There's actually some cool imagery here, but there's also a lot that just reminded me of past projects. Shots of cornfields and spacesuits gave me Interstellar vibes, and that one bit with the plane harkened back to The Dark Knight Rises. And that voiceover, I thought that was Kahn from Star Trek Into Darkness! What the hell was that??

Frankly, after spending so much time in secrecy, I wish this trailer really did just blow the doors down with something awesome. This isn't bad mind you, but it does feel legitimately generic to me. No hint of the characters or personalities, just banal talk of "something coming". This is far from a dud trailer mind you, and there's plenty of time to make up for it, but it also feels like some concerns from spectators have been realized.


No comments:

Post a Comment